The onset of cloud computing has altered the business landscape for global enterprises. This novel computing approach redirects resource operations for the timely maintenance of applications. We know that an ideal cloud servers platform comprises of both public & private models. These are present in the form of infrastructure, software and platform services. Together, these approaches render stringent solutions to curb the challenges faced in the field of device proliferation for fast paced businesses. Additionally, cloud needs to contain a broad set of policies, technologies, and controls to ensure data protection across infrastructure components.
A multi-layered security infrastructure model can actually enable cloud providers with the power to tailor a security framework. The way to do it is by customizing components at the network, hypervisor and virtual machine levels. For the records, global enterprises utilize three service models of the Cloud.
These are as follows:
They basically comprise of the following deployment models:
A wide range of security issues are associated with the cloud. These concerns can be categorized into:
- Security issues faced by cloud service providers
- Security issues faced by clients
Every cloud provider should ensure that the infrastructure in place is duly protected. Consequently, data and applications of clients can be duly protected. Moreover, users should take up appropriate measures for application security. These include the usage of strong passwords for suitable authentication. An organization whose data is stored within a public cloud does not have physical access server level access. Subsequently, business sensitive data is always at risk. This threat in cloud computing can be curbed by hiring a cloud hosting service provider which ensures thorough background checks of employees. Such a provider facility should also encompass data centers which can be frequently monitored for mistrustful actions. Virtualization of Cloud Cloud service providers store the data of more than one client on a server. This leads to data privacy threats (between competitors). To restrain the same, suitable data solation and logical storage segregation models must be deployed by cloud providers. Hardware virtualization in the architecture provides the foundation of a fully-secured cloud service. Isolation of virtual machine and hypervisor operating systems are present which makes such a cloud highly reliable. Attacks on the host OS of such a cloud does not directly effect a client virtual machine. Isolation Modules in Cloud Any cloud which is backed by trademark customer isolation modules comprises of three key functions. They are as follows:
- Secure VLAN sharing among multiple virtual machines: Multiple VLANs are managed in the cloud and other assigned IPs.
- Private VLANs: CIM client isolation allows users to secure their cloud. With it, you leverage the security of a private VLAN system coupled with smaller overhead.
- CIM firewall: With CIM, your cloud gets an additional layer of firewall security on hypervisors.
Four level firewall security A robust cloud has a four layer firewall protection.
- Network/infrastructure firewalls: The hardware firewalls are been built into data center infrastructure
- Hypervisor Firewalls: Firewalls and other security features are been built into hypervisor platforms for complete isolation of VMs and data.
- CIM firewalls: Some proprietary firewall technologies are built into every hypervisor for additional anti-spoofing and anti-sniffing protection. This ensures that VMs cannot interact with other VMs unless allowed.
- Virtual machine firewalls: Our end-user firewall is configurable for every single virtual machine. All these VMs can be configured to scale up/down as per requirement.
Virtual machine templates are configurable with dedicated security technologies for further encryption. One can add security technologies into the VM to meet specific compliance requirements. Such a robust cloud provides detailed permissions to an engine which allows further data security. Functions in such a cloud can be enabled or disabled as per requirement. This prevents unauthorized users from accessing/modifying network, hyper-visor, data storage and other sensitive elements.