The dedicated server is ideally suited for large businesses, especially e-commerce sites where you rent a computer exclusively to host your website. The associated software and connectivity to the Internet is located within the organization’s premises. This makes them necessary for sites which have tremendous online presence backed by an abundance of heavy traffic. Dedicated servers unlike shared servers can be operated and configured remotely by the client; this helps the client save costs relating to routers, internet connections, network administration and security systems.
So, the dedicated server is more like a rental service where users will rent the server and software, and the internet connection from dedicated server hosting companies. Therefore such a server that is situated in a data center will be devoted solely to a single account in contrast to shared hosting where clients have to share disk space and bandwidth with other users.
Why are dedicated servers necessary?
These are important for organizations operating with a powerful capital base, companies running a large website and having a great online presence, companies receiving a lot of Internet traffic and companies involved in e-commerce.
Types of dedicated servers
They can be both managed and unmanaged. In the managed type, the web host offers and maintains, monitors the server and operating system, and supports the client. The latter need not own administration resources because the host will take complete charge and all technical glitches that may surface in its functioning. So, the managed dedicated hosting provide both medium-sized and large businesses with powerful, fast and reliable web presence. The unmanaged type is one where it is maintained and run by the client company. The host only offers the storage space and bandwidth as negotiated and the physical security for the server. In this type, the client must maintain a team of experts to handle technical problems. At times, even the host may offer consultancy in such matters in exchange for a fee.
A dedicated hosting is known to provide a high degree of reliability, security, better performance and higher uptime.
- Since the client enjoys an exclusive server for the website, it has unlimited bandwidth and storage space; there is no fear of other users taking up a lot of disk space or bandwidth as in a shared environment.
- The client can save a lot of money because he is not required to buy or maintain costly equipment. The client does not have to hire and retain a team of experts to offer assistance in times of technical glitches. The web host is responsible for guaranteeing round-the-clock tech support to its clients.
- This also provides greater power and more advanced features compared to VPS or shared hosting.
How to choose dedicated servers
- The hardware must be of superior quality since the costs for renting a server exclusively for your business are quite steep. You should ideally search for servers equipped with enterprise-grade HDDs.
- The web host must be able to offer round-the-clock tech support through live chats, phone calls and email. You must find out about their response time because this is likely to vary from one web host to another.
- You should ensure that your hosting provider offers guarantees on replacement of damaged or malfunctioning products. Such guarantees are typically given by data centers to the hosting service providers and from the latter to the clients. Your host should also be open to installing additional software if required.
- You need to get a hosting provider which offers all key operating systems although you may need to pay more for the Windows based OS as these need paid license. The host should offer the more popular control panels to ensure a hassle-free migration for the website.
Using these criteria, you should be able to get a dedicated server host soon enough and enjoy unlimited bandwidth and disk space, better security and performance.