You can choose from different types of hosting these days. You will avail of different types of services depending on the nature of hosting you have signed up for. Choosing the right type of hosting for your website is definitely not an easy task. You should devote sufficient time to understand the features of hosting, the differences between them and then take a well-informed decision. Hosting refers t services which can guarantee site performance and offer data storage for client needs. When you need to store data like documents and images or even backups, you will need hosting services. When you run an online business, you will need hosting plans to make it operate smoothly. You can choose from shared hosting where resources have to be shared with your neighbors on the same server, or dedicated hosting where you will enjoy private servers.
Different Kinds of Hosting Solutions:
- Application Hosting refers to services which give resources having specific features on a specific platform.
- Web hosting solutions refer to services which let individuals and businesses to make their sites accessible to the public through the Internet.
- To start with, you can sign up for full-featured hosting where you can lease a portion of the web server or the complete web server.
Types of Full-Featured Hosting:
- Colocation Hosting: refers to services which let you put your servers in the data center of a third party provider. So, you basically play the rent for leasing out space in someone else’s rack space. Here, you will enjoy complete control over your server; the operating system, software and hardware.
- Dedicated Hosting: In this form of full-featured hosting, you get to rent out or lease an entire physical server. You do not have to share this server or the server resources with other websites. You may not be able to change the hardware on your own. However, you will enjoy full root access to the server and you can run your choice of an operating system.
- Virtual Private/Dedicated Server: Here, an entire server is divided to create many virtual servers, each capable of functioning independent of the others. You are provided with root access to the virtual server; so, you must log in with your password.
- Cloud Hosting: In this type of hosting, you can enjoy a high degree of reliability and scalability. You will be able to draw resources from a massive resource pool that belongs to multiple servers connected to one another. You can choose from a variety of approaches depending on your business requirements. Under cloud hosting, you may choose from SaaS or Software as a Service like CRM, games communication, PaaS or Platform as a Service such as database and development tools, or IaaS which is Infrastructure as a Service referring to server, virtual machines, load balancers etc. Besides, you can choose to deploy a public cloud, a private cloud or a hybrid cloud.
Types of Web Hosting:
- Web hosting is necessary when you want to showcase your products or services on the Internet. The web hosting provider will make sure your web pages are available to your users. You can choose from a variety of web hosting solutions as follows:
- Free hosting is offered to businesses which are open to allowing advertisements to pop up on their sites. Free hosting, as the name suggests, is perfect for the smaller websites which do not have a huge budget to work with. So, when you do not want to get involved in the running and operations of the site and you are unaffected by advertisements, this is the right solution for you.
- Shared hosting is for smaller sites which do not need very high speed or unlimited storage. Such sites are open to sharing the server resources with other co-users residing on the same server.
- Clustered hosting is for businesses which demand professional solutions. This requires you to have expertise and special know how.
- Reseller hosting is for businesses which are keen to make money by selling the space and other resources they get from their web host. Webmasters find reseller hosting solutions feasible.
Application Hosting is for businesses having many interesting ideas and viewpoints. They can choose from creating blogs, social networking, guild hosting, application hosting etc.
Content hosting is for businesses that have a lot of materials. These businesses must store specific files and data. They can choose from file hosting, image hosting, music and video hosting and document hosting.
Finally, there are some other hosting types for professionals who are well-informed about these. These include game servers, remote backup services, email hosting and DNS hosting.
The above mentioned types of hosting are some of the fundamental hosting solutions. Choosing one amongst these solutions is a hard task, even if you know in details about the features each offer. It may be a good idea to get in touch with professionals to make the right choice.