With an optimistic approach that prior blog has helped you fathom the functioning, features, and limitations of Dedicated Server Hosting. It's the time to bring next 'VPS Server Hosting' into limelight. Likewise, dedicated server, VPS hosting has also its deep roots in the hosting industry. To begin with, let us first untangle what VPS server hosting meant for:
VPS is a method of partitioning a single physical server to provide services to various end-users concurrently. A physical dedicated server runs a hypervisor which creates, removes, and manages the resources of "guest" operating system. Virtual Private Server Hosting service gives you a web server's hardware to share with others without sharing the software. The virtual machines created; function as dedicated physical computers that concede users to customize their server environment to their needs.
You must be feeling hounded by myriad of thoughts about VPS server hosting. Herein, we have fervently collated almost all the major information about the VPS hosting, which will definitely help you choosing befitting solution for your business.
How VPS Functions
Virtual Private Server works on virtualization technology, wherein a physical server is partitioned into several layers. Each of the partitioned layer acts as a dedicated server, allowing you to choose your desired operating system to work with. Additionally, you can install any of the operating system compatible application on your server.
Why Should You Opt for VPS Hosting
This is the mostly asked question by the users that why should they choose for VPS hosting. VPS hosting is one of the best solutions for the websites that need the space and flexibility of a dedicated server web hosting but at the reduced costs. Checkout the below points for better understanding:
– If you want to have more hold on your resources
– You are aware of the web traffic you receive
– You are aware of your budget
– You want to have enhance performance
– You want privacy for your applications
How it is different from shared hosting
All the hosting services differ in their functionalities. Having a clear view of the available services, boost the business performance.
– Gives freedom to choose desired operating system, which is not possible in case of shared hosting. The operating system you need to work with will depend on the service provider's choice.
– The major drawback of shared hosting is that, if one of the website goes down, there are chances that all other websites on shared hosting account might go down. However, this will not happen on a Virtual Private Server since each websites are independent of each other.
– You are allowed to run any of the software (compatible to your OS), whereas you cannot compile or install any script or software in shared hosting.
– Zero risk for security breach in VPS as the servers are not shared, which is quite a concern in Shared Hosting.
Sneak Peak on: Benefits of VPS Hosting
There are various benefits associated with VPS hosting, which can perk-up your business for expedient performance:
– Leverage blogs, high traffic websites and those with complex web application needs
– You have full root access to the virtual machine
– VPS are easy to be scaled up and down and used on a per demand basis
– Inexpensive way to manage multiple websites
– Excellent security
– VPS can be rebooted independently
– Zero worries about the server maintenance, speed, infrastructure, performance as it is heed by the service provider you opt for
– You are provided with dedicated IP and mail address, hence no spamming activities
– VPS hosting provides backup of data in case anything happens to the information in a real time.
Limitations of VPS Hosting
Just like other hosting services, VPS hosting has also some drawbacks, such as:
– Limitation of CPU and RAM usage
– You still share system resources like the CPU and memory with other users
– Even though VPS allows several operating systems to run simultaneously, some software do not work because of the limited resources available.
Which Service Provider to Rely On
It is inevitable that prior you invest to avail hosting services; you must ensure the authenticity and prominence of the service provider:
– Check out the track record of the company
– Check whether the provider is a Data Center or just a hosting company. Data center can provide you with better prices, services, and more reliability.
– Check for the support system of provider
– Ask for Escalation matrix
– Check how many severs do they have in their Data Center and which will help you understand about the strength of provider
– Check how much uptime they can promise and their SLA's
– Check what certification do they have like ISO 9001:2008; ISO 270001:2005 for security standards, etc.
– Check how much data transfer they promise. More is good always as some provider may sell cheap server may charge you for Data Transfer
– Check their billing methods
– Check their credentials like client list
– Most importantly, if eve is there than the one who provides better pricing should be preferred
– Ask for Managed Server and negotiate this initially.
VPS hosting gives you flexibility to enjoy same feature and functionalities of dedicated server with an affordable price tag. However, it has some limitations as well, such as CPU and RAM usage.